Do you remember about new 7 wonder candidate ? Yea, this is one candidate that list on new 7 wonder and becaming UNESCO heritage site. Komodo Island is an island located in the Nusa Tenggara Islands. This island is particularly notable as the habitat of the most largest lizard in the earth, Komodo Dragon. Traveled to the island of Komodo dragons will encounter many animals. In this island, we can see 277 species of animals which is a mix of animals from Asia and Australia. In addition, if u’re hobby for snorkeling, here is also a paradise fish and coral reefs. There are at least 253 species of reef-building corals, 70 species of sponge, and 1,000 species of fish. That’s where live dugongs, sharks, 14 species of whales, dolphins, and turtles. Many divers have witnessed life under the sea waters charming island of Komodo, which saves millions of potential biodiversity. There are only 7 spot of pink sandy beaches in the world. One of them on the island of Komodo. The pink sand mixed blessing white and red sand. The color red itself is said he came from the shattered fragments of red coral. This beach is very clean and beautifull.
About Komodo dragon :
With a body length of 2-3 meters, Komodo dragons can weigh up to 70-100 pounds. Animals who likes hot and dry places to live in the tropical forest or savanna habitat at low altitude.When night fell, Komodo dragons nest in the hole with the 1-3 meter while keeping body heat at night. As carnivores are at the top of the food chain, prey Komodo include goats, deer, wild pigs, and birds. In certain circumstances, they can behave cannibal with Komodo dragons prey on others. By relying on the sense of smell on his tongue, the Komodo dragon can smell carrion prey as far as 9 kilometers. Its bite can contain bacteria and deadly, plus a sharp front claws are natural weapons. In addition, the Komodo dragon was able to run 20 miles per hour in short distances, climbing trees, swimming, and even diving.
- Do not go alone ! Better to go with a tour guide or park ranger .
- Do not disturb or feed the dragons . Although the movement is slow and lazy , this animal can suddenly become aggressive and fast moving .
- Wear shoes your shoes ! Islands of Komodo , Rinca and Pidar has 12 species of snakes and 3 of them are poisonous . Examples of green snakes that live in trees , and russel ‘s viper kobram who live in savanna grassland soil pit .
- Women who are menstruating should report to guide or officer of the island in order to be considered. Komodo has a keen sense of smell and will becoming aggressive if they smell of blood. (Warning !)
- Do not forget to bring insect repellent or use the mosquito repellent .
- Most places on the island of Komodo and Rinca is savanna grassland flammable during the dry season so no smoking and lit the fire .